Rome: 10 Things to Do
Your stay in Rome is all about your state of mind. Making every hour count means letting the timeless grandeur and beauty of the place seep into your blood. So, keep your eyes open for the little things that aren't on any list, the nooks and nuances of this ancient city, which remind me that after 10 years of living here my time in Rome has been but a blink in the city's eye.
The best way to see the city is to walk. The sights of London or Paris might be mapped out by a few select subway stops. But in Rome, where you can usually count on good weather and unreliable transportation, you're best off doing as much as possible by foot. On the street is also where you'll unearth those unexpected finds. The warm aroma of a bakery. The handmade leather of a local craftsman. The tucked-away piazza that seems stuck in the 16th century, with grandma hanging the clothes out the window and six-year-olds chasing each other across the cobblestones. Even if it doesn't ever really change, Rome always has the power to surprise.
Read on for 10 things worth (leisurely) cramming into a day.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Worst Feared for 239 People Aboard Missing Malaysian Airlines Flight
- 10 Things We Learned about the Oscars From Jennifer Lawrence’s BFF
- Top of the World
- Ukrainian Base in Crimea Resists Russian Raid
- Flight With 239 People Goes Missing
- Fort Hood Soldier Charged in Prostitution Case
- Daylight Saving: How to Spring Forward Without Falling Behind on Sleep
- Hillary Clinton Kicks Off International Women’s Day At United Nations
- U.S. Destroyer Joins Hunt For Vanished Malaysia Airlines Flight
- Three Americans Among Missing On Vanished Malaysia Airlines Flight