Rome: 10 Things to Do
1. Galleria Borghese
They say the best museum in Rome is the city itself. That may be so, but the Galleria Borghese is still a gem worth seeing. Its collections are housed in a magnificent 17th-century villa and offer a compact course in the Italian aesthetic. In just 20 rooms, you are exposed to antiquities, the Renaissance and the beginnings of baroque art. Visits to the Galleria in the northeast corner of the sprawling Villa Borghese park are by reservation, which allows you the pleasure of seeing the Bernini sculptures from every angle without being crowded out.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- How Do You Solve A Problem Like Carrie Underwood?
- The 3 Best and 3 Worst States in America for Drinking
- The Committee To Save Detroit
- These Are the 30 People Under 30 Changing the World
- Arts and Entertainment
- Retailer Predicts Wii U Will Outpace PS4 and Xbox One this Holiday, but Read Carefully
- In Defense of Carrie Underwood
- TIME Picks the Top 10 Photos of 2013
- South Africa Faces Difficulties After Mandela