Hotel de Russie
This hotel an updated 19th-century palazzo with 122 rooms and phenomenal terraced gardens set between Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish Steps makes sophistication look easy. Open since 2000, it's become a favorite of Hollywood elite, and it's easy to see why: a great location near some of the city's best shopping on Via Condotti; luxe accommodations in a thoughtfully refurbished landmark building; a rare urban oasis of green; and concierges who know the ins and outs of every neighborhood in Rome. Its distinctive modern interiors are an eclectic mix of pastels, handsome dark woods, and walls accented with Mapplethorpe photography; there's even an on-site spa with Turkish bath. The respected on-site restaurant serves classic Italian dishes, but guests wax most poetic about the hotel's tiered hillside garden studded with classical statues; to add to its oasis-like feel, there's even a butterfly sanctuary. The view is especially pleasant in summer, when the lively Stravinskij martini bar offers alfresco sipping under the palms.
Insider Tip: Take a private tour of Rome with an art historian, arranged by the concierge.
Room to Book: Ask for any room overlooking the quiet courtyard.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- The Major Problem With Electric Cars
- Be a Cocky Little Nobody
- 'Playboy': Still Sexist After All These Years
- These Are the 30 People Under 30 Changing the World
- Arts and Entertainment
- Spray-On Condoms: Still a Hard Sell
- The Top Ten Finalists for Person of the Year in 2013
- TIME Picks the Top 10 Photos of 2013
- Fatal Bus Crash Sparks Singapore's First Riot Since 1969
- Tech Titans Band Together in Effort to Limit Government Surveillance
- Nelson Mandela, 1918–2013: Remembering an Icon of Freedom
- Congo's Forgotten Curse: Epidemic of Female-on-Female Rape
- China is Cheating the World Student Rankings System
- New Wine Into Old Wineskins Works For Jesus, But Not For Wine Dealers
- Director Justin Lin on Paul Walker: A 'Fast' Friend
- Rising Riches: 1 in 5 in U.S. Reaches Affluence
- Teacher Fired for Taking Students to a Strip Club in Sketchiest Field Trip Ever
- THE PRESIDENCY by HUGH SIDEY: The White House Becomes a Home
- Can Your Mate's Voice Be a Clue to Potential Cheating?
- 11 Terms Invented by 'How I Met Your Mother'