Rome: Side Trips
Terme dei Papi Spa
The city of Viterbo is itself worth a visit, but the nearby Terme di Papi Spa is the real reason to go. Hot springs that once helped Roman pontiffs kick back after a stressful conclave are a great place for a heathen like you to relax. A seven-mile wide fracture in the earth's crust allows hyper-thermal waters (up to 130 degrees F), rich in sulphurous salts and calcium bicarbonate and magnesium, to bubble up and soothe you. The quickest way to arrive is by car: Take Via Cassia bis (SS2bis) to Vetralla, then head east toward Viterbo, exiting at Viterbo Terme. There is also a bus that picks up passengers in Rome at Piazza Mancini and Corso Francia.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Malaysia Airlines: Missing Plane’s Whereabouts Still Unknown
- Clinton Super PAC ‘Ready For Hillary’ Gets Readier
- Top of the World
- What 10 Things Should You Do Every Day To Improve Your Life?
- Search Expanded for Missing Malaysian Airlines Flight
- Stolen Passports Used on Missing Malaysian Airliner
- 10 Things We Learned about the Oscars From Jennifer Lawrence’s BFF
- 8 Things The World’s Most Successful People All Have in Common
- Mexico Stops Heavy Metal Concert, Draws Fire
- Daylight Saving: How to Spring Forward Without Falling Behind on Sleep