As you walk into the Peninsula, the concierge and receptionist greet you by name; classical music plays when you enter one of the 339 rooms; and your bedside table has a control panel to manage the lighting, deactivate the doorbell for privacy, and alert housekeeping when you want service. The luxury extends to the hotel's spa by ESPA: it includes an outdoor sundeck, spa cuisine, eight treatment rooms, a steam room, and a lap pool. And be sure to dine at Shanghai Terrace Food and Wine voted it one of the top 100 Asian restaurants in the U.S.
Insider Tip: Enjoy Chocolate at The Pen every Friday and Saturday from 8:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Open to the public, the event features a jazz trio along with an unlimited selection of sweets ranging from chocolate-dipped strawberries to chocolate tiramisu.
Room to Book: Reserve one of the renovated rooms with new linens, carpeting, iPod docking stations, and flat-screen TV's. (All rooms are scheduled to be renovated in 2008.)
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- The Major Tech Companies Missing From the Surveillance Reform Letter
- China: Here Are Some Great Things About Toxic Air
- TIME Picks the Top 10 Photos of 2013
- The Most Surprising Photos of 2013
- The Top Ten Finalists for Person of the Year in 2013
- What Do Your Dreams Mean? Here's How You Can Decode Them
- Why The Sing-Off Is the Most Important Show on Television
- 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug': It Lives!
- TIME Picks the Top 10 Photos of 2012
- And Your BCS Academic Champion Is ...