Los Angeles: Side Trips
Joshua Tree National Park
Just south of L.A. near Palm Springs, the desert becomes one endless U2 album cover. Sure, it's just a collection of sad little cactuses, but it's as vast as the ocean, stretching out in every direction it's the American version of Ayer's Rock. You can rent a house near Joshua Tree, such as JT Rockhouse (928-814-4552), and look at the stars and feel tiny. Also, you can probably get laid.
If you've already made the 140-mile drive from L.A., you may as well pit stop in Palm Springs on the way back. Yes, it's a little gay even if you're gay, a little old even if you're old, and a little golfy even if you're into golf. But in the last few years, the desert, as we call it, has gotten cooler restaurants, bars, hotels and spas.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- U.S. Destroyer Joins Hunt For Vanished Malaysia Airlines Flight
- Worst Feared for 239 People Aboard Missing Malaysian Airlines Flight
- 10 Things We Learned about the Oscars From Jennifer Lawrence’s BFF
- Top of the World
- Ukrainian Base in Crimea Resists Russian Raid
- Hillary Clinton Kicks Off International Women’s Day At United Nations
- Flight With 239 People Goes Missing
- Daylight Saving: How to Spring Forward Without Falling Behind on Sleep
- Fort Hood Soldier Charged in Prostitution Case
- Russia Turns The Screws On Ukraine With Gas Supply Threat