Nairobi: 10 Things to Do
A few years ago, when muggings, carjackings and kidnappings emptied out the city center, residents began referring to Nairobi as "Nairobbery." That's a little unfair. You shouldn't walk around at night and Kenya's dysfunctional government does little to improve crime or traffic or corruption or one of the world's biggest slums. But Nairobi today remains what it has long been: by day, the hectic, cosmopolitan hub of East Africa; by night, a malaria-free city of cool evenings and quiet tropical gardens, best enjoyed with a cool Tusker beer. Here are the 10 best ways to spend time in Nairobi.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Arts and Entertainment
- Paul Walker Bought $9,000 Engagement Ring for Military Couple Who Couldn't Afford It
- Vote Now: Who Should Be TIME's Person of the Year?
- Director Justin Lin on Paul Walker: A 'Fast' Friend
- Face-Off: Who Should Be TIME's Person of the Year?
- And the New Wonder Woman Is...
- Is Katie Couric The Next Jenny McCarthy?
- 10 Reasons I’d Pick the Wii U over the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Today
- The Ivory Trade Is Out of Control, and China Needs to Do More to Stop It