Hong Kong: 10 Things to Do
1. Victoria Peak
If a single image could encapsulate Hong Kong, it would be the panorama from Victoria Peak. Looking down at the city from this famous vantage point, you'll see one of the finest harbors on Earth and a skyline so improbable, audacious and lofty that Manhattan's looks provincial by comparison. Beyond the mountains to the north of the city, the rest of China simmers and strains. Everything you've heard about Hong Kong's restlessness and energy is dramatically reaffirmed by the view from the Peak. Even the most cynical locals never tire of visiting. It reminds us why we live here.
You can reach the peak via the Peak Tram, the 120-year-old funicular railway that departs from its terminus on Garden Road (nearest MTR: Central). Plan to arrive a half-hour before sundown and watch as the city lights come on in their varicolored brilliance.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Worst Feared for 239 People Aboard Missing Malaysian Airlines Flight
- U.S. Destroyer Joins Hunt For Vanished Malaysia Airlines Flight
- 10 Things We Learned about the Oscars From Jennifer Lawrence’s BFF
- Top of the World
- Ukrainian Base in Crimea Resists Russian Raid
- Hillary Clinton Kicks Off International Women’s Day At United Nations
- Flight With 239 People Goes Missing
- Daylight Saving: How to Spring Forward Without Falling Behind on Sleep
- Fort Hood Soldier Charged in Prostitution Case
- Three Americans Among Missing On Vanished Malaysia Airlines Flight