Beijing: 10 Things to Do
1. Emperor Hotel Bar
The boutique Emperor Hotel is perched just opposite the east gate of the massive Forbidden City palace complex. Trendy and airy, the 55-room hotel has many charms. But best of all for the weary traveler is its rooftop bar, Yin. Built on an ascending series of platforms, the bar has the best view in town hands-down. Having a drink here at dusk as you gaze over the swooping tiled roofs of the vast former residence of the Emperor is magical. A word of warning, though: Presumably in the spirit of adding Chinese authenticity, many of the house cocktails are made with the notoriously potent Chinese rice liquor baijiu. Avoid those.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Popcorn Time Is So Good at Movie Piracy, It’s Scary
- Officials ‘Clueless’ On Missing Jet As Terror Suspicion Fades
- Top Lawmaker Accuses CIA of Illegally Snooping on Senate
- 20 Strangers Were Asked to Kiss For the First Time and It Was Strangely Beautiful
- The Selfiest Cities in the World
- 6 Mysterious Airplane Disappearances in Aviation History
- Putin’s Man in Crimea Is Ukraine’s Worst Nightmare
- Watch President Obama on Zach Galifianakis’ Between Two Ferns
- Top of the World
- RECAP: The Bachelor Watch: Juan Pablo Makes His Pick And It’s Okay?