Dubai: 10 Things to Do
Forget the seven-star property, the world's tallest tower, manmade islands, underwater hotels and buildings that spin like a Weeble with an inner-ear infection, what the city of Dubai really knows how to create is headlines. This little fishing-village-that-could has built an entire tourist industry out of piquing people's curiosity. Its unstoppable, finely tuned PR machine has managed to overcome every downside (how often do you hear that Saudi Arabia, Iran and Iraq are right next door?) to make the city a must-see location. And that's despite the fact that the region is full of sunny locales that have a lot more to offer Jordan, with its millennia-old civilization, the Red and Dead seas, incredible desert landscapes and the glories of Petra but generate a lot less interest.
That being said, Dubai has its virtues, so if you find yourself with 24 hours in the city, you'll have no shortage of things to do.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Top of the World
- CPAC Gives Republicans a 2016 Preview
- College President: SAT Is Part Hoax, Part Fraud
- Russia Embraces Potential Crimea Split From Ukraine
- Daylight Saving: How to Spring Forward Without Falling Behind on Sleep
- The New Barbie: Meet the Doll with an Average Woman’s Proportions
- A Chat With Putin’s Old Nemesis: ‘He Likes to Lie’
- What 10 Things Should You Do Every Day To Improve Your Life?
- Russian Troops in Crimea Storm Ukrainian Base
- 6 Secrets You Can Learn From the Happiest People on Earth