Miami: Side Trips
2. The Florida Keys
The Keys consist of 800 islands strung over 113 miles. How much time you have will determine how close to Cuba you make it. Just an hour and a half from Miami is Key Largo, famous for the 1948 Bogie and Bacall movie of the same name and the breathtaking dive and snorkeling sites at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park.
Farther south, Islamorada which lies less than two hours from Miami is renowned for its scuba, tarpon fishing and its sunset cruises. For cruises and diving, try Holiday Isle Dive Shop; the folks at Papa Joe's Backcountry Marina can set you up for fishing.
There are countless other pitstops along the way, but if you aim to make the three-hour drive all the way to kitschy Key West, on a quest to retrace Ernest Hemingway's every last bar fight, then an overnight stay is in order. Lay your head at the Marquesa Hotel, a chic boutique inn that provides a restful break from the Margaritaville-types populating the drinking holes on Duval Street.
1. John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park
102601 Overseas Hwy, Key Largo, FL 33037; 305-451-1202 25.1261153-80.4118681 pennekamppark.com
2. Holiday Isle Dive Shop
84001 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037; 1-800-327-7070 x644 25.1243595-80.413686 diveholidayisle.com
- 3. Papa Joe's Backcountry Marina
Milepost 79.9, Islamorada, FL 33060; 877-665-5599 25.1243595-80.413686 papajoesmarina.net
4. Marquesa Hotel
600 Fleming Street, Key West, FL 33040; 305-292-1919 24.556699-81.801327 marquesa.com
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Indian Diplomat's Arrest in New York Sparks Row With U.S.
- A Lot More People Are About to See That Pantene Ad Everybody Is Going Crazy Over
- Obama Wishes Washington Really Was Like 'House of Cards'
- U.S. To Review Indian Diplomat's Arrest And Strip Search After New Delhi Backlash
- Miley Cyrus Opens Up About Engagement Breakup With Barbara Walters
- Rodman's North Korea Visit Won't Hide Kim Jong Un's Insecurities
- Flawless: 5 Lessons in Modern Feminism From Beyoncé
- The 11 Most Influential Fictional Characters of 2013
- Pantene Breaks Down Every Sexist Workplace Stereotype in One Ad
- Five iPhone Cases That Cost More Than Your iPhone
- The 10 Hottest Real Estate Markets Around the World
- 30 Under 30: Meet Brandon Stanton, the Photographer Behind Humans of New York
- Dictionary.com Chooses a 2013 Word of the Year with Gravitas
- Regulating E-Cigarettes Could Have Unintended Consequences
- Judge Says NSA Program Likely Unconstitutional
- Nirvana, Kiss Join Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame
- How to Block Facebook’s Annoying New Autoplay Video Ads