Stockholm: 10 Things to Do
The Swedish Vikings who ventured east for samarkand were such splendid physical specimens that the 10th century Arab voyager Ibn Fadlan felt moved to write, "I have never before seen such perfect bodies; they were tall like palm trees, blonde, with a few of them red." When the Swedes went home and hung up their helmets, they set about building a capital city every bit as stunning. Stockholm is a cluster of jewel-like islands, and its long, light-filled days make summer the ideal time for your raid. Here's where to find the choicest spoils.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Pantene Breaks Down Every Sexist Workplace Stereotype in One Ad
- China: Here Are Some Great Things About Toxic Air
- Sons of Anarchy's Tara Becomes the Latest Fan-Bro Target
- The Most Overpaid Star in Hollywood Is...
- The Year's Most Beautiful Photos From Space
- Sign-Language Interpreter at Mandela's Memorial Used 'Made-Up Signs'
- The Top Ten Finalists for Person of the Year in 2013
- The Most Surprising Photos of 2013
- South Africans Celebrate First Black President, But Boo the Current One
- TIME Picks the Top 10 Photos of 2013