Tokyo: 10 Things to Do
7. Shibuya Crossing
It would be a shame to come to Tokyo and not take a walk across the famous intersection outside Shibuya Station. On sunny afternoons or clear evenings, the surrounding area is packed with shoppers, students, young couples and commuters. When the lights turn red at this busy junction, they all turn red at the same time in every direction. Traffic stops completely and pedestrians surge into the intersection from all sides, like marbles spilling out of a box. You can observe this moment of organized chaos from the second-story window of the Starbucks in the Tsutaya building on the crossing's north side.
After experiencing the "scramble," follow the trendy teens into Shibuya 109, a big shiny mall with more than 100 boutiques, for a look at the latest in disposable fashion. Or duck back into Shibuya Station and down to the bustling Tokyu Food Show for an elegant array of gourmet eats and an education in local tastes: grilled eel, fried pork, tiny fish salad, octopus on a stick, seafood-and-rice seaweed wraps and much more. The prepared dishes and grocery items are all sold from immaculate counters amid a chorus of "Irashaimasen!" ("Welcome!"). There are aisles full of beautifully packaged treats rice crackers, mochi cakes, jellied confections but the pickle counter is my favorite.
Take the JR Yamanote line to Shibuya station, Hachiko exit.
1. Starbucks at Shibuya Crossing
21-6 Udagawa-cho, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan; 81-(0)3-3770-2301 35.659894139.700341
2. Tokyu Food Show
Tokyu Department Store, B1 Flo, 2-24-1 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku (Shibuya Station), Tokyo Japan; 81-(0)3-3477-3111 35.658514139.70133
3. Shibuya 109
2-29-1 Dogenzaka, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan; 81-(0)3-3477-5111 35.659544139.699011
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- The 3 Best and 3 Worst States in America for Drinking
- How Do You Solve A Problem Like Carrie Underwood?
- Arts and Entertainment
- The Committee To Save Detroit
- These Are the 30 People Under 30 Changing the World
- TIME Picks the Top 10 Photos of 2013
- After Pearl Harbor: Rare Photos From the American Home Front
- Retailer Predicts Wii U Will Outpace PS4 and Xbox One this Holiday, but Read Carefully
- Vote Now: Who Should Be TIME's Person of the Year?
- Which State Is the Biggest?
- China is Cheating the World Student Rankings System
- Arts and Entertainment
- I Want an American Baby! Chinese Women Flock to the U.S. to Give Birth
- Is Your Teen a Night Owl? That Could Explain His Poor Grades
- How Far We Haven't Come: All of the Terrible Ways the Media Treated Women in 2013 in One Video
- The 25 Best Inventions of the Year 2013
- Toronto Mayor Reportedly Offered '5 Thousand And a Car' For Video Of Him Smoking Crack
- Don't Worry, There's An Explanation For Your Teen's Moodiness
- Nelson Mandela, 1918–2013: Remembering an Icon of Freedom