Sofitel, Lafayette Square
In some way, every Sofitel is a Parisian hotel, and despite the inescapable fact of its location in downtown Washington, the Lafayette is no exception. Francophone staff click-clack over shiny black marble floors as jazz floats overhead; chic young things lounge artfully in the dramatic wine-and-gray halls of Le Bar, sipping champagne. The 237 Art Deco-inspired rooms, buff and brown with red-velvet accents, are creatively lit, and hung with original paintings, black-and-white architectural photos of Washington, and la surprise Paris. Corner rooms 14 and 26 have windows on two sides flooding the space with light.
Insider Tip: "Deluxe" suites (bedroom and living room) nearly double your space for just $100 more than a standard room.
Room to Book: Suite 1114 has Japanese-inspired, red-lacquer wall panels, sexy crushed-velour daybed, and over-the-top leopard-print armchairs.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Indian Diplomat's Arrest in New York Sparks Row With U.S.
- A Lot More People Are About to See That Pantene Ad Everybody Is Going Crazy Over
- Obama Wishes Washington Really Was Like 'House of Cards'
- Miley Cyrus Opens Up About Engagement Breakup With Barbara Walters
- The 11 Most Influential Fictional Characters of 2013
- Sleek and Chic: 15 Luxury Tech Gifts That Wow
- Flawless: 5 Lessons in Modern Feminism From Beyoncé
- Pantene Breaks Down Every Sexist Workplace Stereotype in One Ad
- Cats Have Been Crashing on Our Couch for 5,300 Years
- It's a Man's World, And It Always Will Be
- The 10 Hottest Real Estate Markets Around the World
- 30 Under 30: Meet Brandon Stanton, the Photographer Behind Humans of New York
- Dictionary.com Chooses a 2013 Word of the Year with Gravitas
- Regulating E-Cigarettes Could Have Unintended Consequences
- Nirvana, Kiss Join Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame
- How to Block Facebook’s Annoying New Autoplay Video Ads