Sofitel, Lafayette Square
In some way, every Sofitel is a Parisian hotel, and despite the inescapable fact of its location in downtown Washington, the Lafayette is no exception. Francophone staff click-clack over shiny black marble floors as jazz floats overhead; chic young things lounge artfully in the dramatic wine-and-gray halls of Le Bar, sipping champagne. The 237 Art Deco-inspired rooms, buff and brown with red-velvet accents, are creatively lit, and hung with original paintings, black-and-white architectural photos of Washington, and la surprise Paris. Corner rooms 14 and 26 have windows on two sides flooding the space with light.
Insider Tip: "Deluxe" suites (bedroom and living room) nearly double your space for just $100 more than a standard room.
Room to Book: Suite 1114 has Japanese-inspired, red-lacquer wall panels, sexy crushed-velour daybed, and over-the-top leopard-print armchairs.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Sabotage Suspected on Missing Jet, as Search Area Expands
- These Two Guys Covered Beyoncé’s Whole Album in 5 Minutes and It’s Amazing
- Report: U.S. Could Be Plunged Into Blackout By Minimal Attacks
- Another Deadly Knife Attack Puts China on Edge
- Is Amazon Prime Still a Good Deal at $99? Let’s Run Some Numbers
- Don’t Want to Pay $99 for Amazon Prime? Here Are 5 Alternatives
- Put the Sex Back in Sex Ed
- Malaysian Plane’s Unprecedented Disappearance Deepens Asian Tensions
- Gas Lines Declared Intact in Streets Under Collapsed Harlem Buildings
- Ordeal of a Dying Child Captures the Tragedy of Syria