Shanghai: Finding the Perfect Souvenir
In the end, all those fake Chairman Mao pins and Little Red Books will only collect dust back at home. Instead, stock up on 180-yuan tongue-in-cheek propaganda T-shirts at Shirtflag, which has several outlets in town, including ones on Taikang Road and Nanchang Road. Choose from, among other designs, a satirical "Supermao" graphic that pokes fun at Cultural Revolution posters or a "Worker, Peasant, Soldier" motif in which a soldier and peasant lock lips something that could have earned a harsh punishment in more puritanical times.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Pantene Breaks Down Every Sexist Workplace Stereotype in One Ad
- Pope Francis, The People's Pope
- Pope Francis, The Choice
- Shock As Incestuous Clan Discovered in Australia
- Edward Snowden, The Dark Prophet
- The Most Surprising Photos of 2013
- Psy Tops Miley for Most-Watched Music Video of 2013
- The 11 Most Influential Fictional Characters of 2013
- The Most Overpaid Star in Hollywood Is...
- If Apple Made a Laptop Desk, It Would Probably Look Like This