Set right in the heart of the Raffles Place central business district, this sprawling Palladian pile was once home to Singapore's and general post offices. Today, though, the vast marble atrium where locals once lined up patiently to buy stamps is filled with well-heeled businessmen in pinstripes and Japanese wives leisurely sipping tea. The 400 rooms are, given the mainly business clientele, equipped with large writing desks and both wired and wireless Internet connections; the on-site 24-hour business center offers translation and video-conferencing services (although guests wanting to make a really strong impression at their next meeting should pony up to hire the hotel's vintage Rolls-Royce and driver). The ground floor Post Bar attracts a lively Friday-night crowd with its White Cosmopolitans and chilly mojitos. The hotel's pièce de résistance, though, is the 25-meter outdoor pool that overlooks the mirror-flat curve of Marina Bay and the skyscrapers of Raffles Place.
Insider Tip: In the evening, take the subterranean underpass to the Fullerton Heritage complex across the road; it's filled with cafes and bars.
Room to Book: The light-filled Governor Suite has soaring ceilings, original 1920's detailing, and a veranda flanked by 20-foot-high Doric columns.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- The Major Problem With Electric Cars
- Be a Cocky Little Nobody
- 'Playboy': Still Sexist After All These Years
- These Are the 30 People Under 30 Changing the World
- Arts and Entertainment
- Spray-On Condoms: Still a Hard Sell
- TIME Picks the Top 10 Photos of 2013
- Fatal Bus Crash Sparks Singapore's First Riot Since 1969
- Oldest Human DNA Discovered, Muddles Picture of Our Origin
- Obama Becomes First President to Acknowledge ‘Area 51’
- Nelson Mandela, 1918–2013: Remembering an Icon of Freedom
- Congo's Forgotten Curse: Epidemic of Female-on-Female Rape
- China is Cheating the World Student Rankings System
- New Wine Into Old Wineskins Works For Jesus, But Not For Wine Dealers
- Director Justin Lin on Paul Walker: A 'Fast' Friend
- Teacher Fired for Taking Students to a Strip Club in Sketchiest Field Trip Ever
- THE PRESIDENCY by HUGH SIDEY: The White House Becomes a Home
- Can Your Mate's Voice Be a Clue to Potential Cheating?
- 11 Terms Invented by 'How I Met Your Mother'
- 6 Ways to Keep Santa’s Secrets Safe in a Digital World