San Francisco: Shooting it Like a Pro
Golden Gate Bridge Tower
The few minutes between sunset and the onset of night are a photographer's best friend. During this narrow window of time, the light changes rapidly and dramatically. Out on the bridge at around 8 p.m. last September, Hoagland captured the rich indigo hue of the sky, offset by the powerful skylights that illuminate the bridge's stanchions. By using a relatively slow shutter speed (1/8 second), Hoagland enhanced the rich color of the dusky sky.
1. Golden Gate Bridge
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Pantene Breaks Down Every Sexist Workplace Stereotype in One Ad
- Pope Francis, The People's Pope
- Pope Francis, The Choice
- Shock As Incestuous Clan Discovered in Australia
- Mandela Deaf Interpreter: 'I’m a Sign Language Champ!'
- The Most Surprising Photos of 2013
- Edward Snowden, The Dark Prophet
- Psy Tops Miley for Most-Watched Music Video of 2013
- The 11 Most Influential Fictional Characters of 2013
- The Year in Mayors' Gaffes