With Wilted Butter Lettuce with Peas and Beurre Blanc
Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence, host of Food Network's Tyler's Ultimate
FOR THE ROAST CHICKEN
1 whole chicken
1 lemon, cut in half
1 head of garlic, cut through the equator
2-3 fresh bay leaves
½ bunch of fresh thyme
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil
1. Clean chicken and season cavity well with plenty of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Stuff cavity with lemon, garlic, thyme and bay leaf.
3. Tie bird up with kitchen twine.
4. Rub skin with olive oil and season with plenty of kosher salt and pepper.
5. Roast in a preheated 350 F degree oven for 90 minutes.
FOR THE WILTED BUTTER LETTUCE, PEAS, AND BEURRE BLANC
1 cup dry white wine
1 shallot, finely chopped
6 whole black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
½ stick cold unsalted butter, cut up into cubes
1 large head of butter lettuce
1 cup frozen garden peas, blanched in salted water
1. Add white wine, shallot, bay leaf, peppercorns, and salt to a saucepan and simmer until it is syrupy and just coats the bottom of the pan.
2. Add butter cubes, a little at a time while stirring with a whisk to thicken the sauce and give it a shine.
3. Give it a final season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cut off the root of the butter lettuce and separate the leaves.
5. Place the leaves in a large mixing bowl with blanched peas, then dress with warm beurre blanc and toss so the leaves wilt a little.