For nine years, on rooftops, balconies, towers and mountaintops, manning more than 16,000 observation posts scattered around the U.S., civilian volunteers of the U.S. Air Force’s Ground Observer Corps have spent millions of lonely hours, day and night, scanning the skies for enemy aircraft. Last week the Air Force told its 280,000 unpaid watchers, already moved back to a ready-reserve status, that on Jan. 31 the G.O.C.’s dedicated vigil will end completely. The Defense Department’s radar and electronic-brain warning systems, said Air Force Secretary James H. Douglas, are now so effective that the G.O.C. is no longer needed. Besides, he added, the supersonic speeds of missiles and late-model military planes have outpaced the G.O.C., limited as it is by the keenness of human sight and the speed of human action.
By disbanding the G.O.C., the Air Force will make available for other duties the 200 officers and 1,000 enlisted men now assigned to the corps—and contribute a saving of $8,000,000 a year to the Administration’s economy drive.
More Must-Reads from TIME
- Cybersecurity Experts Are Sounding the Alarm on DOGE
- Meet the 2025 Women of the Year
- The Harsh Truth About Disability Inclusion
- Why Do More Young Adults Have Cancer?
- Colman Domingo Leads With Radical Love
- How to Get Better at Doing Things Alone
- Michelle Zauner Stares Down the Darkness
Contact us at letters@time.com