Music: Dreams at the Met

Manhattan's Met has been talking about a new opera house, off & on, for 27 years. Last week, with deep restraint, the Met announced that it was actually mulling a rough plan. The plan, first proposed by city officials last spring: build a new Metropolitan Opera House as part of a general face-lifting project for Manhattan's Columbus Circle. George Sloan, Met board chairman, announced that the board now has a pledge (pledger unnamed) for 40% of the land cost (about $1,250,000), said he was confident the remaining 60% could be raised. Next question: Where to get $15 million for a new...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now


Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!