WARNING: Andy Williams here. Unhappy kid. Tired of being picked

  • (3 of 3)

    Stevens and Williams had also discussed stealing one of their parents' cars and driving down to the border to find a new life in Mexico. Others started goading Williams. "They talked him into it," says Stevens. "Two people said, 'Oh, yeah, just like you're running away to Mexico. You're a pussy. You won't do it.' But they were trying to get him to."

    On Monday morning, Williams smoked a joint with some friends at an apartment complex on Carefree Drive. Then he hung out with Shaun Turk, John Fields and Mike Wolfe outside "the Jack"--the Jack in the Box fast-food restaurant across from the school. The only unusual thing was that Williams told them, "I got to leave when it is 9:06." Says Turk: "We usually never leave the Jack until 9:15." Analisha Welbaum saw Williams there on her way to class and said he was "really calm; he wasn't shaking; he wasn't stuttering." Minutes later, she was walking across the school courtyard when she heard gunshots. "I looked down the hallway and saw him--he was about 100 feet away--and he turned and looked me in the eye. Then he turned around and shot some others."

    Last week police were saying little about their investigation into what Williams' friends and associates knew or did not know in advance about the shooting. They have questioned many who knew Williams, including Stevens and Reynolds. Reynolds says, "It's being reported I am the one to blame for this. I can blame myself. But other people knew way before I did." Kristin Anton, the chief deputy district attorney in charge of the case, said two days after the shooting there were no plans to charge anyone else in the affair. But late last week, Reynolds and Stevens each hired criminal-defense lawyers. Stevens' attorney denies that his client was involved in the shootings.

    In the blood-splattered bathroom at the school, Williams, to indicate there were no other shooters, told police, "It's only me." And so it was when he appeared for his first court hearing two days after the killings. None of his family members was present. His mother was avoiding the public eye. His father told lawyers he was too distraught and did not want to face the media. He also said his "financial situation was very tight" and that he was unable to pay for a lawyer to represent his son. So Andy was alone in court, puffy-faced and solemn, represented by a public defender, saying nothing as the prosecutor read out charges that could result in 500 years of prison time.

    1. 1
    2. 2
    3. 3
    4. Next Page