Kyoto: 10 Things to Do
Japan's capital for over 1,000 years, Kyoto remains awash with remnants of its past glory. The city's stunning collection of UNESCO World Heritage sites alone would be enough to set it apart, but Kyoto also boasts a still-working geisha district, some of Japan's most exquisite cuisine, and a whole lot of Zen. Not that it's all temples and tradition: the city also hosts its share of hip cafes and modern art. Think of it as the cultural yin to Tokyo's yang, but with a sprinkling of modernity. Here's how to get a taste of it all.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Pantene Breaks Down Every Sexist Workplace Stereotype in One Ad
- China: Here Are Some Great Things About Toxic Air
- Sons of Anarchy's Tara Becomes the Latest Fan-Bro Target
- The Most Overpaid Star in Hollywood Is...
- The Top Ten Finalists for Person of the Year in 2013
- The Year's Most Beautiful Photos From Space
- The Most Surprising Photos of 2013
- A New Strategy for Prosecuting Revenge Porn
- TIME Picks the Top 10 Photos of 2013
- Will Colorado Have Enough Pot Stores to Meet Demand?