Moscow: Side Trips
Russia's spiritual epicenter is 90 km (56 miles) or an hour by train from Yaroslavsky Rail Terminal in Moscow. For hundreds of years, pilgrims have been flocking to the little town outside Moscow to see the old monasteries and bell towers. You should, too. The interiors of the churches are filled with gorgeous artwork. Make sure to pick up one of the long, thin, honey-colored candles when you enter the church; you don't want to feel left out. When you return to the 21st century, check out one of the cafés just across the street from the monastery. You'll find lots of traditional, Russian fare, including some very very strong vodka.
1. Sergiyev Posad
Sergiyev Posad, Russia 56.31074938.133041
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Stolen Passports Used on Missing Malaysian Airliner
- Vietnamese Officials Say Airplane Debris Found in South China Sea
- Top of the World
- Clinton Super PAC ‘Ready For Hillary’ Gets Readier
- Ukraine Troops in Crimea Face Dilemma: To Defect, Flee Or Fight
- Malaysia Airlines: Missing Plane’s Whereabouts Still Unknown
- UMass ‘Blarney Blowout’ Descends Into Drunken Chaos
- What 10 Things Should You Do Every Day To Improve Your Life?
- 9 Things That Mess with Your Hormones
- 1 Word That Immediately Kills Your Credibility