Hong Kong: 10 Things to Do
I was born and have lived most of my life in Hong Kong, and whenever I travel to the other two members of the Nylonkong triumvirate I see immediate connections. But if you really want to compare the soul of Hong Kong to that of another Western place, it's not New York or London. It's Sicily, of all places. Like us, Sicilians are islanders tough and maritime. They have known colonization, revolution and emigration. They have their cosa nostra, we have our triads. Both the Sicilians and the Cantonese are obsessed with seafood, smuggling, secrecy and saving money. O.K., Hong Kong isn't The Godfather, but pay attention as you work through our list below: There's a hint of Palermo in the hilly, narrow alleyways of old Central and in the shirtless, tattooed men lounging in Kowloon doorways. The city of Hong Kong may rub shoulders with New York and London, but its feet still dangle in the brackish water of a sultry, southern port.
Connect to this TIME Story
Time.com Best & Worst Lists
- Popcorn Time Is So Good at Movie Piracy, It’s Scary
- Officials ‘Clueless’ On Missing Jet As Terror Suspicion Fades
- Top Lawmaker Accuses CIA of Illegally Snooping on Senate
- 20 Strangers Were Asked to Kiss For the First Time and It Was Strangely Beautiful
- The Selfiest Cities in the World
- 6 Mysterious Airplane Disappearances in Aviation History
- Putin’s Man in Crimea Is Ukraine’s Worst Nightmare
- Watch President Obama on Zach Galifianakis’ Between Two Ferns
- Top of the World
- RECAP: The Bachelor Watch: Juan Pablo Makes His Pick And It’s Okay?