A set of ancient fresco fragments is at the center of a nasty feud between Paris's Louvre Museum and the Egyptian government. Zahi Hawass, head of Egypt's antiquities department, claims the Louvre bought the fragments last year despite knowing they were taken from a tomb in Egypt's storied Valley of the Kings in the 1980s, a prime spot for grave-robbers. Egypt, which has made reclaiming ancient art taken from its country a top priority, said they would sever cooperation with the Louvre unless the fragments were returned. A museum representative claimed on Oct. 7 that the Louvre was unaware the fragments were stolen, and said the museum would consider sending the fresco pieces back to Egypt.
Current status: For now, the pieces remain in the Louvre's collection.