The Boss of All Bosses
The arrest last week of Salvatore Lo Piccolo was a triumph for Italian law enforcement: the second Capo dei Capi, or boss of bosses, of the Cosa Nostra, the Sicilian Mafia, to fall in as many years. But each leader captured or at large adds to the mystique of the still deadly 150-year old organization.
It continues to lord over life in Sicily, and do business with criminals across the globe. All too often, the symbiosis between Mafia legend and reality only adds to the difficulty in trying to dismantle it. Looking through the biographies of its top bosses, it is important to know the folklore, but to stay focused on the facts that matter. Here are snapshots of some of the Mafia's notorious leaders from the past two decades. More »
- How Do You Solve A Problem Like Carrie Underwood?
- The 3 Best and 3 Worst States in America for Drinking
- The Committee To Save Detroit
- Arts and Entertainment
- These Are the 30 People Under 30 Changing the World
- Retailer Predicts Wii U Will Outpace PS4 and Xbox One this Holiday, but Read Carefully
- In Defense of Carrie Underwood
- TIME Picks the Top 10 Photos of 2013
- Vote Now: Who Should Be TIME's Person of the Year?