The Boss of All Bosses
The arrest last week of Salvatore Lo Piccolo was a triumph for Italian law enforcement: the second Capo dei Capi, or boss of bosses, of the Cosa Nostra, the Sicilian Mafia, to fall in as many years. But each leader captured or at large adds to the mystique of the still deadly 150-year old organization.
It continues to lord over life in Sicily, and do business with criminals across the globe. All too often, the symbiosis between Mafia legend and reality only adds to the difficulty in trying to dismantle it. Looking through the biographies of its top bosses, it is important to know the folklore, but to stay focused on the facts that matter. Here are snapshots of some of the Mafia's notorious leaders from the past two decades. More »
- Arts and Entertainment
- Paul Walker Bought $9,000 Engagement Ring for Military Couple Who Couldn't Afford It
- Vote Now: Who Should Be TIME's Person of the Year?
- Director Justin Lin on Paul Walker: A 'Fast' Friend
- Face-Off: Who Should Be TIME's Person of the Year?
- Is Katie Couric The Next Jenny McCarthy?
- And the New Wonder Woman Is...
- 10 Reasons I’d Pick the Wii U over the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Today
- The Ivory Trade Is Out of Control, and China Needs to Do More to Stop It