Farewell to Tavern on the Green
Restaurant on the Park
Tavern on the Green dates to 1934, when legendary New York City Parks Commissioner Robert Moses decided that a sheepfold on the edge of Sheep Meadow would be better used as a restaurant. Leased by the city to a series of managers, the building and its interior were given new life in 1974, when famed restarauteur Werner LeRoy embarked on a dramatic renovation. The business was operated by his descendants until 2009, when financial pressures forced them to declare bankruptcy.