Arkansas Shooting: Boys in Court

  • Share
  • Read Later
JONESBORO, Ark.: Class was canceled Wednesday at Westside Middle School as the two boys accused of killing four fellow pupils and a teacher and wounding 10 others Tuesday await a judge's ruling on whether they are competent to stand trial in juvenile court. If they are eventually found guilty, the boys -- identified by the local newspaper as Mitchell Johnson, 13, and his cousin Andrew Golden, 11 -- will have to be released by the age of 18 under Arkansas law. The judge in the case has ordered the boys held without bail. The U.S. Attorney General's office is considering filing federal charges against the them.

And the motive? According to the Jonesboro Sun, friends say the 13-year-old warned them he "had a lot of killing to do" after being jilted by a girlfriend. But as Craighead County Sheriff Dale Haas said, "There's no explanation in my opinion why an 11-year-old or 13-year-old would do something like this. It breaks my heart." Haas says the boys were heavily armed and lying in wait in nearby woods when the alarm was pulled inside the school. When apprehended, they were running in the direction of a white van loaded with guns and ammunition. The connection of the van to the shooting is not yet known.

This was the third fatal shooting rampage in a school in the southern U.S. within the past five months. In December, a 14-year-old youth opened fire on a student prayer circle in a hallway at Heath High School in West Paducah, Ky., killing three students; two months earlier in Pearl, Miss., a 16-year-old was accused of killing his mother, then going to school and shooting nine students, killing two of them.