Families: Sit Right, Study Hard

The Clinton Administration's noble goal of getting every public school online by 2001 has a downside risk. Up to 70% of the nation's 30 million schoolchildren are being given access to computers, but little attention is being paid to the kinds of equipment, including desks and keyboard rests, they are using--and to the potential for injury or even permanent damage. A Cornell University study of elementary schoolchildren found that about 40% of them were in danger of developing serious posture problems and the other 60% had conditions that were cause for concern. Says Professor Alan Hedge, who heads the university's ergonomics...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!