LIQUID X

A CLUB DRUG CALLED GHB MAY BE A FATAL APHRODISIAC

The only thing Hillory Janean Farias is known to have drunk that night was a couple of soda pops. Still, she came home from the dance club near her hometown of La Porte, Texas, with nausea and a severe headache. Within 24 hours the 17-year-old varsity volleyball player was dead. An autopsy showed no sign of alcohol or drugs. Then, alerted by Houston police of the dangers of a new club drug called gamma hydroxybutyrate, or GHB, investigators decided to take a second look. Sure enough, Farias' tissues showed that she had died of a GHB overdose. "This kid was a...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!