Deadly Burgers

A tragic outbreak of food poisoning kills two children

A CASE OF INDIGESTION AFTER EATING FAST FOOD IS one of the hazards of modern life. Something quite different happened when severe food poisoning struck hundreds of people in Washington, Idaho and Nevada who had dined at Jack in the Box restaurants. Doctors are blaming a savage strain of E. coli bacteria first identified 10 years ago. Somehow the germs infected a shipment of hamburger meat, which was then undercooked in restaurant kitchens. Two children died, only one of whom had eaten at Jack in the Box. This suggested that the bacteria could in some cases spread to people who did...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!