CORPORATIONS: Votes at A. & P.

The nation's biggest privately controlled enterprise, the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co., last week voted to give stockholders outside the Hartford family a vote in how its 4,222 supermarkets will be managed.

Under the plan, approved by the heirs of A. & P.'s Founder George H. Hartford, who own 81% of the stock, all of the company's outstanding stock will be replaced with a single class of voting common stock. (The other 19% of A. & P. stock is publicly held but has had no voting rights.) All common stockholders will receive a 10-for-1 split on their old shares, and...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!