Medicine: A Life-Saving Lung

Scott Wilson of Boca Raton, Fla. , was "as close to being dead as he could be without being dead," according to Surgeon Frank Veith of Montefiore Medical Center in New York City. Wilson, 25, a landscaper and father of four, was spraying weeds with the herbicide paraquat on Aug. 30, when the equipment apparently malfunctioned and he accidentally inhaled the toxic chemical. Paraquat lodges in the muscle tissue and travels in the blood to the lungs, where it does continual damage as long as it remains in the body. After steadily declining...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!