MIDDLE EAST: Close, Yet So Far Away

The linkage issue holds up peace treaty talks once more

Ah, that final 10%. "We have already achieved 90% of our goal [of peace]," declared Egyptian President Anwar Sadat last week. That sounded great, but then he added: "Now we are in a serious crisis, and if we can avoid it in order to achieve the remaining 10%, even by suspending the talks for a while, so be it."

That did not sound promising, considering that nine weeks have passed since the Gamp David accords. But if nothing else, Sadat's good news-bad news comment proved anew, in case any such demonstration...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!