CYPRUS: Ankara's Slow Nibble

Slowly but surely, Turkey, which already has about 40% of Cyprus, seems determined to nibble away at the remaining 60%. With no real opposition from the outgunned Greek Cypriot National Guard, Turkish forces last week advanced their lines another twelve miles to the southwest, taking command of Morphou Bay, the main exit point for the island's copper production.

The Turkish general staff, indeed, seemed independent even of Premier Bülent Ecevit's civilian government, adamantly vetoing any suggestion from Ankara that Greek refugees be allowed to return home until a permanent political solution had been worked out. "It is not because we...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!