Business: To Save the Children

IN Ohio, a four-year-old girl was dressed in her nightgown, ready for bed. Then she decided to take a last look at her pet bird. She clambered to the top of the kitchen range for a closer view, nudged the gas burner and her nightgown all but exploded in flames. It took 97 days and eleven skin grafts before she could leave the hospital. Even so she was luckier than many others. The Government estimates that 3,000 to 5,000 Americans die each year from burns, many associated with flammable clothing and interior furnishings....

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!