The Audience: The Videophobes

Since the spread of cable TV systems, the U.S. has been buried under a blanket of television. According to the Nielsen ratings service, approximately 95% of U.S. households have TV sets. But what of the remaining 5%? Some live in mountain areas like Appalachian Georgia, or the new ski-resort town of Vail, Colo., where cable TV has not yet penetrated. Some Americans cannot afford to buy a TV set, although more American homes have TV than have telephones or bathrooms, and, as the Kerner Commission reported, television is "the universal appliance in the ghetto." Thus, many of the 5%...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!