Toxicology: Seamy Side of Tet

Carbon tetrachloride (CC14) is one of the simplest of chemicals and one of the most potent. It is a great fire extinguisher, a powerful pesticide, will dry off dew-shorted spark plugs, and is such a versatile solvent that it will vaporize the grease stains out of a dress or tar from the rug in no time at all.

No wonder that it is used in so many successful commercial products. But carbon tet has its seamy side. Inhaled or soaked up through the skin, it can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, dizziness, stupor, heart irregularities, lung congestion, liver and kidney damage—possibly...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!