Drugs: The Dangers of LSD

Blonde Donna Wingenroth was no beatnik "acid head" looking for a trip into the fantastic with LSD. Still, she ate a sugar cube laced with the hallucinogenic drug and had to be taken to the hospital, alternately laughing and screaming hysterically. After a stomach pumping and a few days on intravenous feedings, she recovered. Last week she went home, and her doctors are confident that she has suffered no permanent brain damage. Only five years old, Donna was an innocent victim of the dangerous LSD craze (TIME, March 11); she had found the "candy"...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now


Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!