Toxicology: A Non-Drinking Man's Mushrooms

Two men and two women appeared in the emergency room of St. Patrick's Hospital in Missoula, Mont., one afternoon early last summer and insisted that they had been poisoned by drinking beer. The doctors were doubtful, but there was no denying that the patients' faces were flushed, their hearts were racing, and they were vomiting. They complained of a metallic taste in their mouths, and of pins-and-needles sensations in their feet, legs and hands (which they said felt swollen, although they looked normal).

It took some detailed questioning, report Dr. William A. Reynolds...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!