Medicine: Surgeon's Day

Mrs. Harley Stansberry of Sterling, Colo., did some heavy washing in her basement two months ago, and she was extra careful to empty her tub of lye water well away from little Mike, who was playing on the floor near by. But Mike, 28 months, found the drain hose, and some of the lye solution was still in it. Mike swallowed and screamed. His mother rushed him to a doctor, who gave him mineral oil and kept him on soothing milk and ice cream for three weeks. But one morning Mike could no longer swallow: scar tissue had closed his esophagus...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!