The Press: Surprise on Fleet Street

As editor of the Labor Party's London Daily Herald (circ. 1,965,504), Percy Cudlipp, 48, has had trouble keeping the paper from being a dull, party house organ. Caught between the Trades Union Congress and Labor Party, which owns 49% of the paper, and Odhams Press Ltd., which holds the other 51% of the stock, Editor Cudlipp has battled to make the paper a lively daily while satisfying his political bosses' demands for space for such dull stories as long-winded party speeches. Last week Editor Cudlipp got tired of the delicate balancing act. Barely four days after his brother Reginald was named...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!