Business & Finance: The Import Dollar

Imports or exports—which create the more employment? Last week, in connection with "Foreign Trade Week," the American Manufacturers Export Association issued a booklet giving a startling answer—Imports. This conclusion was based on findings indicating that the average cost of imported goods landed in the U. S. represents only 30% of their ultimate retail value. The other 70% is spent in the U. S. for customs duties, dock labor, drayage, freight, advertising, and the services of wholesaler and retailer. Even excluding duties, more than one-half the retail price of imported goods is absorbed in moving them from customs house to consumer.

The export...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!