Cinema: Grandmothers Are People Too

Youth constitutes 56% of the movie audiences. But what about the other 44%? Isn't their money just as good as the kids'? Better, declare the makers of A Walk in the Spring Rain. And so they have produced a menopausal melodrama reminiscent of an old Ladies' Home Journal serial. All that is missing are three staples and a recipe for lemon chiffon pie.

Libby Meredith (Ingrid Bergman) is bored. Her professorial husband Roger (Fritz Weaver) is a pedant who sprinkles even casual conversation with chalk dust. On Roger's sabbatical, the Merediths flee New York for a Tennessee farm. But while Roger is...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!