Medicine: Capsules, Jul. 31, 1972

> Because it happens so frequently, doctors rarely get overly excited when youngsters swallow coins, buttons or other foreign objects. But doctors at the Ohio State University Hospitals in Columbus were worried when an adult patient, almost helpless as a result of head injuries, swallowed a thermometer that had been placed in his mouth by a careless nurse's aide. They immediately put the patient on a low-roughage diet, and watched, by means of X rays, as the thermometer slowly made its way first into the stomach, then into the small intestine and finally into...