Toxicology: Monoxide in Small Doses

Everyone knows what happens when a would-be suicide closes the garage door, runs a hose into his car from the tail pipe, and sits inside the car with the engine running. Carbon monoxide, in such heavy doses, is one of the deadliest of gases. It gets into the blood and starves the brain of vital oxygen. The victim turns red and usually dies. But doctors have been arguing for decades about the effects of small doses of monoxide poison over long periods. Only recently have they begun to collect evidence that such small doses may do permanent damage to...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!