CORPORATIONS: Plan for Divorce

Having won their court fight to make Du Pont give up its General Motors stock, the Government's trustbusters last week proposed their plans for the divorce. They asked that Du Pont be ordered to transfer its 63 million shares (23% worth $2.5 billion) to trustees, who would then distribute 60% on a pro rata basis to Du Pont common stockholders, sell the remaining 40% held by Du Pont holding companies after first offering it to Du Pont's common stockholders. None of the stock would be given or sold to the Du Pont...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now


Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!