Time Clock, may 13, 1957

RAIL-FARE HIKE will send up first-class tickets by 15% on six eastern lines. Together with recent 5% raise, this makes total 20% boost approved by ICC in 1957, brings per-mile first-class rates to 5.67¢ v. 4.73¢ on Jan. 1.

OVERTIME PAY will be eliminated on aircraft defense contracts, except for ballistic missiles and high-priority jobs approved in advance by Air Force. Defense Department's order will cut costs (average aircraft-factory worker earns $10.84 weekly overtime) but aggravate engineer shortage, now so acute that until recently California planemakers kept engineers on steady overtime. BIGGEST SHOPPING CENTER in southeast U.S. will be built...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!