DISASTERS: Singed to the Tip

The cold wave hurt most in Florida, frost-singed nearly to its tip. Since December, southern Florida has had six freezes (three more than in any year since records began some 90 years ago), and weathermen are marking this as the state's worst winter.

With an estimated 75% of their midwinter vegetable crop irretrievably gone, Dade County farmers ruefully reckoned losses at $25 to $30 million, hoped that the remaining 25% would not be lost. The effect was quickly felt in scanty offerings, high prices at fresh-vegetable counters in the North and East....

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!