Medicine: Shocked Hearts

After giving nine years to the research, during which time he electrocuted 900 guinea pigs, twelve rabbits, ten cats, ten dogs, ten pigs. 500 sheep and ten calves, Livingston Polk Ferris. Bell Telephone Laboratories Engineer, last week in Electrical Engineering, was able to state precisely why a person may drop dead upon being shocked by a small current of electricity. Such an accident may happen when a person, still wet from a bath, touches an improperly grounded electric light in the bathroom. Mr. Ferris and associates rediscovered a method of reviving such shocked...

Want the full story?

Subscribe Now

Subscribe
Subscribe

Get TIME the way you want it

  • One Week Digital Pass — $4.99
  • Monthly Pay-As-You-Go DIGITAL ACCESS$2.99
  • One Year ALL ACCESSJust $30!   Best Deal!
    Print Magazine + Digital Edition + Subscriber-only Content on TIME.com

Learn more about the benefits of being a TIME subscriber

If you are already a subscriber sign up — registration is free!